Property Search

Landlord FAQ’s

I want to let my property; do I need to tell the mortgage lender?

Yes, you must obtain permission from your mortgage lender and inform us of any condition they may impose. We may require written evidence of this for our files.

How much will it cost to let my property?

The amount will depend on which of our three services you require. These are:

  • Tenant find
  • Rent collection
  • Full Management

The initial finding fee is payable in one sum from the first month’s rent. Fees for the rent collection and management service will be deducted monthly from the rent.

Who will conduct the viewings on my property?

We will accompany all viewings and therefore you do not need to be present unless you specifically wish to be. However, remember that prospective tenants feel more relaxed during a viewing if the owner is not present.

What is an EPC and how long is it valid for?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a measure of the energy efficiency of a property and is valid for 10 years once issued. It is a legal requirement for landlords to have a valid EPC before the property is let.

What is a Gas Safety certificate?

The Gas Safety Certificate is an annual check carried out by a registered Gas Safe engineer to ensure that all gas appliances (gas fire, boiler, gas hob etc) in the property are operating correctly and are safe to use.

Can I use Keys & Lee to find tenants and then manage the property myself?

Yes, we offer a tenant find service where we handle everything up until the tenancy agreement is signed. After this, you will be responsible for managing the property.

What should I leave in the property?

Flexibility is the key. The majority of properties are let as unfurnished, however, it is usual for white goods in the kitchen to be supplied.

What is an inventory, how much does it cost and why should I have one?

An inventory is a detailed report that specifies the condition of the property and also any fixtures and furnishings that are present. The inventory is usually checked and signed by all parties on the day the tenant moves in. You are unlikely to succeed in claiming money from the security deposit for damages without a professional inventory as evidence. The cost of the inventory will depend on the size of the property.

How much will the deposit be and what happens to it?

Typically we suggest a deposit of six weeks rent and this is payable upon the signing of the tenancy agreement. The deposit is then registered with a tenancy deposit protection scheme within 14 days. Our deposits are registered with the Deposit Protection Service.

How do I receive my rent?

The usual method of payment is monthly in advance via standing order. We will pay the rent into your specified account via BACS and you receive a monthly statement of account.

Who pays for the utilities and council tax?

Unless otherwise specified in the tenancy agreement, the tenant will be responsible for paying all utilities including gas, electric, water and council tax.

Who organises repair and maintenance work?

As part of our full management service, we can order immediate repairs subject to receiving your consent. We have built up solid working relationships with many qualified, reliable and independent contractors.

I have my own contractors that I like to use; can this be arranged?

Yes, we will use your preferred contractors unless there is an emergency and we are unable to contact them in which case we will use our own.

How often do you visit my property?

As part of our full management service, we will inspect the property every three months and provide you with a detailed report within 24 hours.

What happens at the end of the tenancy?

A check out inspection of the property is carried out on the day the tenant vacates the property. If for any reason the property has been damaged or left in a dirty condition, a claim will be made against the deposit.

What if there is a dispute at the end of the tenancy?

We will do our best to resolve the issue by liaising with both you and the tenant, however, if an agreement cannot be reached, the matter will be referred to arbitration via the Deposit Protection Service.