There’s no doubt that moving day can be stressful, however, with careful planning and organisation, the whole process will go far more smoothly. Here are our top tips for making moving day as stress free as possible.
- Try to avoid moving on a Friday. It’s the most popular day, removal firms are in high demand and if there is a problem for any reason, you cannot contact your solicitor the next day.
- Use a professional moving company. If family and friends have moved recently, ask them for recommendations.
- Try to get someone to look after any children and pets for the day. Drop the children off or if this isn’t possible, organise a corner of the lounge with some of their favourite toys. Older children may be able to be given more specific tasks to lend a hand.
- Pack a box to be emptied upon arrival. Make sure the box includes a kettle, tea, coffee, biscuits, toilet roll and some light bulbs.
- Once the van is packed, walk around your old home with one of the removal men to ensure all items have been loaded.
- Take meter readings for gas, electric and water companies.
- Leave any instruction manuals, alarm codes and service information (eg, bin days) in a folder ready for the new owners. Always include details of the current utility providers as this is not always known.
- Check that all windows and doors are locked when you leave and head off to your new home!
Who to inform
When you move, it is best practice to tell companies about your new address. This will ensure you do not miss out on any important communications.
- Gas and electric company
- Water company
- Telephone provider
- Mobile phone provider
- TV licensing
- Post Office
- Satellite/cable and internet service providers
- Credit card companies
- Council Tax Department
- Insurance company
- Pension company
- Inland Revenue
- Loyalty card companies
- Vehicle insurance company
- Sports Clubs/Gyms
…..and don’t forget to tell your friends and family!